Friday, June 18, 2010

Anand Hegde

My plan for this week’s post was to introduce a series of posts I’m working on about science. But on Wednesday, I received the sad news that a friend and brother in Christ passed away unexpectedly, so I’ve decided to devote this week’s post to Anand.

For those who wish to attend the visitation and/or funeral, the visitation will be Friday, June 18 from 2-4pm and 7-9pm at the Francis Funeral Home in Tavistock. The funeral will be Saturday, June 19 at 2pm at the Francis Funeral Home, with Glenn Rider officiating. The funeral home is located on Woodstock Street (Hwy 59) just north of the Tim Hortons in Tavistock.

I can remember the first time I met Anand. Our family was searching for a new church to attend after relocating to the Stratford area, and we were checking out Faith Bible Church. Anand stood out because he was the only one wearing a jacket and tie while most others were much more casually dressed. He introduced himself and his welcome was warm and sincere. I got to know him as we became more involved in the church and I was asked to serve as an Elder. From what I was told, Anand had been serving as an Elder forever and he was a great source of wisdom and church history.

My wife and I joined a small group with Anand and Janet, and got to know them both even more. When our family moved to Tavistock, Anand and I would frequently share driving duties for meetings in Stratford. It was often during these 20 minute rides that Anand and I would chat about life, sharing stories of our pasts and hopes for the future.



After moving to Tavistock, we created a small group with Anand and Janet, Mike and Sue, and Andy and Margo. Our Wednesday night gatherings were something I always looked forward to and I never felt that leading this group was ever a burden. We shared each other’s joys and sorrows, ate lots of good food, and explored the Christian walk together. It was always a joy to hear Anand share how he came to be a Christian and to share a prayer with him.

Anand was never one to be up in front so you may not have heard him pray before, but during our Elder meetings and Board meetings, his prayers were always ones that were truly those of child speaking with his Father – reverent, passionate, trusting, and sincere.

I’m going to miss Anand terribly. Our Elders meetings, small group meetings, worship services, and social times will never be the same. My comfort is that Anand has completed his work on earth, and is now with our heavenly Father, experiencing Him completely and perfectly. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, as we adjust to life without him as a husband, brother, father, grandfather, and friend.

So long my friend. We will surely miss you. Your laughter and your smile, are gone but in a while - we will see each other once again.

Jac


You Alone Can Rescue
by Matt Redman

Who, oh Lord, could save themselves, their own soul could heal?
Our shame was deeper than the sea, Your grace is deeper still.

You alone can rescue, You alone can save.
You alone can lift us from the grave.
You came down to find us, led us out of death.
To You alone belongs the highest praise.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jac,

    Thanks for writing such a great tribute to a great man.

    Indeed, Anand will be missed greatly, and yet the hope that Christ gives us enables us to carry on Anand's legacy of calm and wise leadership.

    The mantle has been passed. May we wear it as well as he did!

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete